One of Europe's most ambitious and visionary nature restoration projects...
We’ve come such a long way since we first began work at the Great Fen:
- We’ve purchased and restored 1,317ha of land around
Holme Fen, creating reedbeds, hay meadows, wet meadows and areas of open water
- We’ve purchased the tenancy of Engine Farm, meaning
that we can create a continuous circle of habitat in the north of the Great Fen
- We’ve created a Great Fen Information Point at New
Decoy Farm, with car parking, information panels, a waymarked walk and a straw
bale bird hide
- We’ve built Trundle Mere Lookout, an elevated
wheelchair-accessible hide with views over Rymes Reedbed, which in time will
become a huge area of reedbed with pools and wet grassland
- We’ve engaged with approximately 50,000 people
through school programmes, community events and craft workshops
- We’re creating new habitat at Kester’s Docking – an
extension of Rymes Reedbed with open water, reedbed, channels and wet and dry
- We’re opening a 9km waymarked trail around the area
that would have been Whittlesea Mere
And wildlife seems to approve of our work! The new habitats have
benefitted many species, many returning and many never seen in the area before,
including great grey shrike, hooded crow, short eared owl, green sandpiper,
common sandpiper, greenshank, marsh harrier, kingfisher, willow warbler,
chiffchaff, blackcap, kestrel, little grebe, spotted flycatcher, whinchat,
buzzard, hobby, lapwing and little egret
But we have even more work planned:
- Creation of 184ha of habitat at Engine Farm
- A second Information Point to serve Rymes Reedbed
and Kester’s Docking, with a car park, bird hide and interpretation panels
- A Great Fen smartphone app, to enhance visitor
And this is why we still need your help.
Please give now to support this urgent appeal.
See who has given so far...
Your payment will be securely processed by Paypal.
You can also give...
By phone using a credit/debit card by calling 01954 713543
By post by sending a cheque made payable to 'The Wildlife Trust BCN' and send it to us at The Manor House, Broad St, Great Cambourne, Cambridge CB23 6DH
Your support will fund vital wildlife work across the three counties. Some part/all
of your donations to this Wildlife BCN appeal could be used to make a
Contributing Third Party (CTP) payment to a landfill operator to secure a grant
through the Landfill Communities Fund.